Warboss Vince contributed to this battle report, the tone of which may or may not betray the authors’ profound commitment to the great Mororkian Socialist Revolution. The scenario rules can be found here.
The heroic defenders of Orkingrad recognized that, despite revolutionary enthusiasm, they could not hope to defeat the powerful greenskin armies arrayed against them in open battle. Instead they decided to use the city itself as a fortress and the deteriorating weather as an ally, hoping thereby to win enough time for reinforcements to arrive.
In Sector South, the decision was made to force the 4th Panzork Army to fight in the narrow streets of the downtown core, where the mobility and firepower of their armour would be limited. A defensive line of barricades, tanglewire, and tank traps was constructed deep in the sector in front of Pavgrot’s House, and garrisoned with Grots, Gunz, and a Looted Wagon. No retreat! Victory or death! This is where they would make their final stand.
In Sector West it was clear that Mama Gretchin hill was key: if its controlling heights fell, the 6th Ork Army would dominate the central areas of Orkingrad and split the defenders in two. Big Mek Orkvincesky would personally lead the defence with handpicked Burna Boys, backed by Lootas, Grot infantry and a detachment of the Workers’ Anti-Aircraft Brigade. If the trenches were captured, Lobbas, Lootas, Burnas, and a Shokk Attack Gun to the east were ordered to pummel and burn the hill into rubble and ashes.
Sector North was the most vulnerable part of Orkingrad. Grot infantry, led by Big Mek Orkrexky and supported by a Painboy, held barricades at the crossroads. Killa Kans, Deff Dreads, and a Looted Wagon provided support, while boobytraps and mines were placed among the ruins to slow an attacker. If the enemy could break through, however, the people’s proletarian factories would be at risk.
The defenders deploy.
Fascist Invading Dogs, Turn 1
The defenders grimly dig in as massed enemy infantry advance from the North and West, whilst hostile armour approaches from the South.
- Sector South: Warboss Callum advances his forces towards the defenders dug in around Pavlork’s House. They offer some minor harassing fire, which has no effect. His Warbuggies speed down the railway line, intent on penetrating deep into the defenders’ rear and cutting them off from reinforcements across the Volgrot River.
- Sector West: Warboss Andrew goes immediately on the attack, leading his ‘Ard Boyz and a mob of Shootas up the slopes of Mama Gretchin Hill, firing all the way. Despite formidable defenses, several defenders are killed and Big Mek Orkvincesky is wounded.
- Sector North: Warboss Daryl advances towards the Red Orktober Factory; his Trukk-mounted Tankbustas knock out a Killa Kan.
Warbuggies of the 4th Panzorks advance along the railway line.
A hated collaborator-grot guides this Panzork Battlewagon into the city. Those few that were captured alive would face the wrathful vengeance of the People’s Revolutionary Courts.
The fascist invaders prepare to assault Mama Gretchin hill.
Noble Defenders of the Popular Revolution of Toiling Grots and Meks, Turn 1
- Sector South: The Looted Wagon fires on the Deffkopta squadron, inflicting minor damage. The Kustom Mega-Kannon disables the forward buggy in Warlord Callum’s BattleTrain™. Grot gunners of the Workers’ Anti-Aircraft Brigade atop Pavork’s house knock out a Trukk loaded with Mega-Nobz, forcing the fearsome warriors to walk. Callum’s Battlewagon is hit directly with a Zzzap gun to no effect.
- Sector West: Big Mek Orkvincseky’s Burnas roast a number of Warboss Andrew’s boyz, but the attackers hold their ground. A second unit of Burnas, positioned next to a promethium pipeline, spew gouts of flame at a mob attempting to skirt the Hill. Lootas in elevated positions send withering hails of gunfire into the mobz advancing from the West and North.
- From atop the chemical factory, Mek Thermaplugg fires his Shokk Attack Gun, inadvertently creating The Great Proletarian Vortex, which consumes close to a dozen of Warboss Daryl’s boyz and will be a threat for the rest of the battle.
- Sector North: Warboss Daryl’s Trukk is disabled by a Killa Kan’s grotzooka while Lobba crews drop ordnance on his advancing mobs, pinning some Slugga boyz. Other fire is largely ineffective.
Vile Invaders of the Sacred Motherland, Turn 2
The advance slows amidst a sudden cold snap. Early snow makes all terrain difficult this turn.
- Sector South: A Dakkajet screams through the low-hanging clouds and strafes the Kustom Mega-Kanon, killing some crew and damaging the weapon. Warboss Callum’s other vehicles struggle in the cold; a buggy breaks down and Callum’s Battlewagon stalls out. Undeterrred, the Warboss disembarks and leads his Nobz down the street towards Pavlork’s House. The deffkoptas destroy a Killa Kan lurking in the ruins. Ork Warbiker reinforcements fail to arrive from reserve.
- Sector West: Warboss Andrew calls in an airstrike on Mama Gretchin Hill ahead of his charge, but the Workers’ Anti-Aircraft Brigade shoots a Blitza-bommer down before it can drop its payload. A Burna-bommer, deployed by Warboss Daryl to eliminate the Burnas near the Promethium pipeline is forced to abort its attack run due to heavy AA fire.
- In retaliation, Andrew’s Tankbustas unleash their rokkits and bomb squig, which destroys the AA gun atop Mama Gretchin Hill. As the explosion blossoms, Warboss Andrew sounds the charge! His Slugga boyz are first up the hill—and are promptly driven back by the defender’s Wall of Death. As the Burnas switch gas canisters, Andrew throws two of his ‘Ard Boyz on the tanglewire and charges in. Big Mek Orkvinceky and most of his burnas are killed in the ensuing melee, but the survivors hold on, encouraged (or perhaps menaced) by the fearlessly demented Mad Dok Grotsnik. Another mob of Slugga Boyz arrives from reserve and also advances towards the hill.
- Sector North: Warboss Daryl’s Tankbustas destroy the grotzooka-wielding Killa Kan and begin maneuvering to outflank the defenders of the Red Orktober Factory. Daryl himself abandons his useless Trukk and leads his ‘Ard Boyz towards the outskirts of the city, with his Slugga Boyz in tow. Several of his Kommandos are consumed by the vortex, which begins to drift towards Mama Gretchin Hill. A reserve Slugga mob arrives, pushing through the woods outside the city.
The Grot gunners of the Workers’ Anti-Aircraft Brigade open fire upon the enemy’s aircraft from atop Pavgrot’s House.
A smouldering crater marks where the Blitzabommer crashed (conveniently missing the Lobbas, Burnas, and Grots).
Tankbustas and Shoota Boyz advance in Sector West.
A bombsquig finishes off the anti-aircraft gun atop Mama Gretchin.
Warboss Andrew and his Boyz assault the hill. This is the last known picture of Big Mek Orkvinceky, who was stuck down moments later while trying to hold the main gate by Andrew’s fearsome killchoppa.
Kommandos flee the Great Proletarian Vortex.
The 6th Ork Army advances to the outskirts of Orkingrad.
Stalwart Proletariat, Turn 2
- Sector South: The defenders of Sector South find it difficult to hit anything; they only manage to inflict minor damage on the Deffkoptas. A Killa Kan gets bogged down in the mud and snow and fails to charge Warboss Callum’s mob.
- Sector West: The Loota mobs pour fire into Warboss Andrew’s reserves, and send them packing off the field. The promethium Burnas and a unit of Grots combine fire to drive the Tankbustas back as well. Mad Dok Grotsnik is left as the only defender of Mama Gretchin hill, but stubbornly refuses to give up (or die).
- Sector North: Lobba crews drop shells to some effect, but Warboss Daryl’s troops continue forward. Two Deff Dreads begin to move towards the attackers, their big shootas blazing. One of the Dreads attempts to charge Daryl’s mob, but is stymied by the snow.
Big Mean Jerks, Turn 3
All sectors of the defence begin to buckle under the sustained attack.
- Sector South: The Deffkoptas fire a volley of rokkits that lightly damage the Looted Wagon, while the immobilized but still-dangerous Battlewagon destroys the Killa Kan that was menacing Warboss Callum, who calls a Waaagh! The ensuing charge annihilates the Grots stationed outside Pavork’s House. Callum is now inside the defensive perimeter, within reach of the Mega-Kanon, Pavork’s House and a unit of Gretchin workers. The Dakkajet shrieks by and strafes the Looted Wagon outside the Red Orktober Factory, causing heavy damage. A Wartrakk skorcha torches a building near Mama Gretchin Hill, killing several of the Grots who had fired on Andrew’s Tankbustas. Ork Warbiker reinforcements again fail to arrive from reserve.
- Sector West: The vortex begins crawling up Mama Gretchin Hill. The Tankbustas regroup and move towards the city once more. Warboss Andrew finally finishes off Mad Dok Grotsnik and secures the heights. The surviving Burna-bomba ignores the substantial damage it has suffered and manages to kill some of crew of the main Lobba battery—but the crew, infused with an unbreakable spirit of revolutionary solidarity, refuse to break.
- Sector North: Warboss Daryl calls a Waaagh! of his own and charges the nearby Deff Dread. Two of his boyz are cut down by powerklaws, but they nevertheless begin to tear the Dread apart; it won’t last much longer. The Tankbustas complete their flanking maneuver, taking control of the street outside the Factory and destroying the Looted Wagon, while simultaneously threatening the rear of the Dread fighting Daryl. A Slugga mob, depleted by Lobba fire, charges the Grot barricades and fights the defenders to a standstill.
Warboss Andrew finishes off the few remaining Grot defenders of Mama Gretchin—as the Great Proletarian Vortex slowly works its way up the hill.
Heroes of the Grotvolution, Turn 3
The turning point?
- Sector West: The Great Proletarian Vortex advances up Mama Gretchin Hill, causing heavy damage to the Lootas’ watchtower. The Lootas retire via a trap door to the apparent safety of nearby ruins. Two boatloads of grots arrive from across the river and prepare to reinforce the Factory and the Void Shield generator. Warboss Andrew and his ever diminishing group of Ard Boyz finish off Doc Grotsnik, and now only face a rag-tag group of Grot infantry.
- The Shokk Attack Gun generates yet another vortex, but this one drifts across the Volgrot River and away from the battle.
- Sector North: The exemplary workers inside the Red Orktober Factory finish constructing two Killa Kans and send them directly into the fray.
- Sector South: the Volgrot bubbles and churns. In a plume of steam, the monstrous, clanking war machine known as Josef Stompa emerges from the frigid waters, sheets of ice crashing from its armoured flanks to the streets below. Grand Mek Marshal Zhukork gazes out from the colossal walker’s command center as the beleaguered defenders of Pavork’s House send up a cheer . The super-heavy walker concentrates its fire on the enemy Nobz about to overrun the bastion, destroying most and driving back the few survivors. The singed corpse of Warboss Callum—or, at least, what is left of it after being fired upon by a Stompa’s full arsenal— is later found among the dead.
Grot reinforcements leap from their barges to join the stalwart defenders of Sector North.
Heroes of the Workers’ Anti-Aircraft Brigade (WAAB) atop the mighty proletarian bastion of Pavgrot’s House.
Josef Stompa emerges from the Volgrot River in the very best “Pacific Rim” style to rain mechanized destruction upon all exploiters and imperialists.
Fascist Fungoids, Turn 4
Despite the arrival of Josef Stompa, things still look dicey in the northern industrial zone.
- Sector North: Although Orks are driven back from the Grot barricades at the crossroads, Warboss Daryl leads a breakthrough farther to the north, destroying the Deff Dread. The Tankbustas destroy a unit of Lobbas, causing the few surviving crew to flee in panic. The Red Orktober factory may soon fall to the enemy!
- Sector West: The meandering Great Proletarian Vortx drifts over the lootas once more, but miraculously causes no casulaties—confirming the defenders’ view that the dialectics of history are firmly on their side. Warboss Andrew charges the Grots, finishing them off too. At last, Mama Gretchin hill is under his control! The Burnas deployed at the promethium pipeline are fired upon, and are now down to two survivors. They grimly hang on.
- Sector South: The Deffkotas continue to fire at the looted wagon, but do little but a single glancing hit. Clearly some remedial gunnery training is in order. The Nobz start to retire, while the MegaNobz seek what cover they can. Ork Warbiker reinforcements once more fail to arrive from reserve.
Warboss Daryl leads his Ard Boyz through the ruins as his Tankbustas break through into the industrial zone.
The perfidious Dakkajet continues to strafe the brave defenders of Orkingrad.
The Dakkajet pilot’s last words: “WAAB is no probz, dey culdnt ‘it nuffink”.
Heroes of Orkingrad, Turn 4
Orkingrad, graveyard of invaders!
- Sector North: Concentrated fire from Grots and Killa Kans kills off most of the boyz accompanying Warboss Daryl, and even slightly wounds the great hulking warrior himself. The Tankbustas remain a serious threat, though.
- Sector West: The Great Proletarian Vortex swings back to the fortifications atop the hill, disintegrating Warboss Andrew and most of his retinue. The few remaining attackers eye the hill and vortex warily “I dont fink wez shud go deyr,” says one surviving battalion commander. “Dat vortex iz naaaaasty.”
- Sector South: The remaining Workers’ Anti-Aircraft Brigade quad deffgun atop Pavorks House takes down the Dakkajet, which crashes in a fiery ball just short of the gates of the Red Orktober factory. Having routed the Nobz, the stompa turns its attention to the MegaNobz, killing half of them. The Wartrakk is destroyed too. Warboss Callum radios to his much-delayed warbikers and tells them not to come—the 6th Panzork Army will be withdrawing from their positions instead.
Josef Stompa turns its attentions to the MegaNobz and Deffkoptas. The enemy is driven back!
Feral squigs scavenge amongst the Nob corpses and survivors.
The grim and but determined survivors of the heroic 2nd People’s Burna battalion continue to hold the prometheum pipeline (foreground), while in the distance the remnants of a 6th Army Tankbusta mob can be seen huddling for shelter in a shell crater as Grots fire upon them. A destroyed Wartrakk is nearby.
These Grot infantry are volunteers from other planets, part of the so-called “Interplantary Brigades” of green socialists from across the sector committed to defeating warlordism and tyranny in a spirit of fraternal solidarity.
Warboss Andrew falls prey to the Great Proletarian Vortex!
Lootas pour fire into enemy troops on Mama Gretchin in the hopes of driving them back.
The Dakkajet is downed by the Workers’ Anti-Aircraft Brigade!
Mek Thermaplugg atop the chemical plant as the Great Proletarian Vortex continues to wreak havoc down below.
A grots-eye view of the battlefield.
The battle is over! The enemy withdraws, as the Grots and Meks of Orkingrad sing revolutionary songs of proletarian solidarity and the toast with grotvodka to the inevitable victory of Morkian socialist thought over the rotting edifice of twilight feudalist warlordism.
When the dust (but not the vortex) settles, the flag of the Grot Mek Soviet still flies amid the socialist rubble!